Main Article Content
Goat’s milk fermented whey, honey, and red fruit extract can be used for making face masks because they can increase the effectiveness of mask. Whey has smaller fat globules so it helped nutrients absorbed better in to the skin, the honey and red fruit contain flavonoids and phenolics to keep skin moist, clean, and it also produced the antioxidant properties of fermented whey masks. This study aimed to determine the formulation of the fermented whey mask as well as its physical characteristics and antioxidant properties. Fermented whey masks were tested for their physical characteristic such as pH, water activity, spreading ability, drying time and antioxidant properties to see which formulation produced a mask with good test results. The study was tested using a completely randomized factorial design. Result showed that mask with addition of 10% honey had better physical characteristic such as pH, water activity, spreading ability, drying time and antioxidant activity than the addition of 5% honey. Results gained from this study were prospected to be developed into the shelf life stability and dermatologically because it has the potential to be developed commercially.
Transfer of Copyrights
- In the event of publication of the manuscript entitled [INSERT MANUSCRIPT TITLE AND REF NO.] in the Malaysian Journal of Science, I hereby transfer copyrights of the manuscript title, abstract and contents to the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) for the full legal term of copyright and any renewals thereof throughout the world in any format, and any media for communication.
Conditions of Publication
- I hereby state that this manuscript to be published is an original work, unpublished in any form prior and I have obtained the necessary permission for the reproduction (or am the owner) of any images, illustrations, tables, charts, figures, maps, photographs and other visual materials of whom the copyrights is owned by a third party.
- This manuscript contains no statements that are contradictory to the relevant local and international laws or that infringes on the rights of others.
- I agree to indemnify the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) in the event of any claims that arise in regards to the above conditions and assume full liability on the published manuscript.
- Reviewers must treat the manuscripts received for reviewing process as confidential. It must not be shown or discussed with others without the authorization from the editor of MJS.
- Reviewers assigned must not have conflicts of interest with respect to the original work, the authors of the article or the research funding.
- Reviewers should judge or evaluate the manuscripts objective as possible. The feedback from the reviewers should be express clearly with supporting arguments.
- If the assigned reviewer considers themselves not able to complete the review of the manuscript, they must communicate with the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another suitable reviewer.
Copyright: Rights of the Author(s)
- Effective 2007, it will become the policy of the Malaysian Journal of Science (published by the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) to obtain copyrights of all manuscripts published. This is to facilitate:
(a) Protection against copyright infringement of the manuscript through copyright breaches or piracy.
(b) Timely handling of reproduction requests from authorized third parties that are addressed directly to the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya.
- As the author, you may publish the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
You may produce copies of your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, for teaching purposes or to be provided, on individual basis, to fellow researchers.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, electronically on a secure network at your affiliated institution, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, on the World Wide Web, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- In the event that your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, has been requested to be reproduced, for any purpose or in any form approved by the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers), you will be informed. It is requested that any changes to your contact details (especially e-mail addresses) are made known.
Copyright: Role and responsibility of the Author(s)
- In the event of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science contains materials copyrighted to others prior, it is the responsibility of current author(s) to obtain written permission from the copyright owner or owners.
- This written permission should be submitted with the proof-copy of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science
Angioi R, Morrin A, White B. 2021. The rediscovery of honey for skin repair: recent advances in mechanisms for honey-mediated wound healing and scaffolded application techniques. Applied Sciences 11 (5192): 1-27.
Arifin M, Budiman C, FUJIYAMA K, Arief IIA. 2021. Kinetic and thermodynamic study of plantaricin IIA-1A5, a bacteriocin produced by Indonesian probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum IIA-1A5. Protein and Peptide Letter 28 (6): 680-686.
Ayomi AFM. 2015. Buah merah (Pandanus conoideus) terhadap penyerapan zat besi (Fe) dalam duodenum. J Agromed Unila. 2(2): 90-93.
[BSN] Badan Standarisasi Nasional. 1996. SNI pH Kulit 16-4399-1996. Jakarta (ID): Badan Standarisasi Nasional
Baguna R, Yelnetty A, Siswosubroto SE, Lontaan N. 2020. Pengaruh penggunaan Honey terhadap nilai pH, sineresis, dan total bakteri asam laktat yoghurt sinbiotik. Zootec 40(1): 214-222
Beringhs AO, Rosa JM, Stulzer HK, Budal RM, Sonaglio D. 2013. Green Clay and Aloe Vera Peel-Off Facial Masks: Response Surface Methodology Applied to the Formulation Design. AAPS Pharmacy Science Technology 14(1): 445–455.
Budiman A, Kusuma A, Aulifa D. 2017. Peel-off gel formulation from black mulberries (Morus nigra) extract. National Journal of Physiology, Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 7(9).
Cahyaningrum PL. 2019. Aktivitas antioksidan Honey ternakan dan Honey kelengkeng sebagai pengobatan alami. E-Jurnal Widya Kesehatan 1(1): 1-6
Chang TS. 2009. An updated review of tyrosine inhibitors. International Journal of Molecular Science 10: 2440-2475
Codex. 1995. Whey powders. Codex STAN 289-1995.
Desniar, Rusmana I, Suwanto A, Mubarik NR. 2012. Senyawa antimikroba yang dihasilkan oleh bakteri asam laktat asal bekasam. Jurnal Akuatika 3(2): 135- 145.
Dewi CC, Saptarini NM. 2016. Review Artikel: Hidroksi Propil Metil Selulosa dan Karbomer Serta Sifat Fisikokimianya Sebagai Gelling Agent. Jurnal Farmaka (14): 1-10
Dewi LF, Sartini, Rahmiati. 2019. Isolasi bakteri asam laktat dari usus sapi (Bos taurus) serta kemampuannya dalam menghambat pertumbuhan bakteri Escherichia coli dan Shigella sp. Jurnal Ilmiah Biologi UMA 1(1): 21-27
Edwards PJB, Jameson GB. 2020. Structure and stability of whey protein. Milk Proteins (2nd ed) Food Science and Technology: 201-242
Fatmawati F, Santoso R, Azhar DP, Desvita NA, Fauziah R. 2020. Uji penghambatan tirosinase masker gel peel off yang mengandung rumput laut (Euchema cotonii) dan whey kefir. Indonesia Natural Research Pharmaceutical Journal 5(1): 94-104.
Garg A, Aggarwal D, Garg S, Sigla AK. 2002. Spreading of Semisolid Formulation. Pharmaceutical Technology North America 26(9): 84-105
Hadi H, Omar SSS, Awadh AI. 2016. A review: Honey, a gift from nature to health and beauty. British Journal of Pharmacy (1): 46-54
Halim CN, Zubaidah E. 2013. Studi kemampuan probiotik isolat bakteri asam laktat penghasil eksopolisakarida tinggi asal sawi asin (Brassica juncea). Jurnal Pangan dan Agroindustri 1(1): 129-137
Herawati H. 2008. Penentuan umur simpan produk pangan. Jurnal Litbang Pertanian 27(4): 124-130
Ichihashi M, Ando H, Yoshida M, Niki Y, Matsui M. 2009. Review article: photoaging of the skin. Anti-aging Medicine 6(6): 46-59
Kingwatee N, Apichartsrangkoon A, Chaikham P, Worametrachanon S, Techarung J, Pankasemsuk T. 2014. Spray drying Lactobacillus casei 01 in lychee juice varied carrier materials. Food Science and Technology: 1-7.
Mattjik AA, Sumertajaya M. 2002. Perancangan Percobaan dengan Aplikasi Minitab. Ed ke-2. Bogor (ID): IPB Pr.
Murtiningrum, Sarungallo ZL, Mawikere NL. 2012. The exploration and diversity of red fruit (Pandanus conoideus L.) from Papua based on its physical characteristics and chemical composition. Biodiversitas 13(3): 124-129
Nadhilla NF. 2014. The activity of antibacterial agent of honey against Staphylococcus aureus. Journal Majority 3(7): 94-101
Purba AP, Dwiloka B, Rizqiati H. 2018. Pengaruh lama fermentasi terhadap bakteri asam laktat (BAL), viskositas, aktivitas antioksidan, dan organoleptik water kefir anggur merah (Vitis vinifera L.). Jurnal Teknologi Pangan 2(1): 49-51.
Puspitasari AD, Mulangsri DAK, Herlina. 2018. Formulasi krim tabir surya ekstrak etanol daun kersen (Muntingia calabura L.) untuk kesehatan kulit. Media Litbangkes 28(4): 263-270.
Rahman A, Taufik E, Purwantiningasih S, Purwanto BP. 2014. Kajian potensi whey yoghurt sebagai bahan alami pencegah jerawat. Jurnal Ilmu Produksi dan Teknologi Hasil Peternakan 2(1): 238-242
Rahmawanty D, Yulianti N, Fitriana M. 2015. Konsentrasi Gelatin Dan Gliserin Formulation and Evaluation Peel-Off Facial Mask Containing Quercetin with Variation Concentration of Gelatin and Gliserin. Media Farmasi, 12(1), 17–32.
Rio YPB, Djamal A, Asterina. 2012. Perbandingan efek antibakteri madu asli Sikabu dengan madu Lubuk Minturun terhadap Escherichia coli dan Staphylococcus aureus secara in vitro. Jurnal Kesehatan Andalas 1(2): 59- 62
Rowe RC, Sheskey PJ, Quinn ME. 2009. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Exipients (Sixth). London (UK): Pharmaceutical Pr.
Sabry EY. 2009. A three-stage strategy in treating acne vulgaris in patients with atopic dermatitis: a pilot study. Journal of Pakistan Association of Dermatologist (19): 95-105
Setyawardani T, Sumarmono J. 2015. Chemical and microbiological characteristics of goat milk kefir during Storage under different temperatures. Journal of the Indonesian Tropical Animal Agriculture 40(3): 183-188
Shori AB, Baba AS. 2013. Antioxidant activity and inhibition of key enzymes linked to type-2 diabetes and hypertension by Azadirachta indica-yogurt. Journal of Saudi Chemical Society (17): 295-301.
Sinulingga EH, Budiastuti A, Widodo A. 2018. Efektivitas Honey dalam formulasi pelembab pada kulit kering. Jurnal Kedokteran Diponegoro 7(1): 146-157
Sunnah I, Erwiyanti AR, Pratama NM, Yunisa KO. 2019. Efektivitas komposisi polivynil alkohol, propilenglikol, dan karbomer terhadap optimasi masker gel peel-off nano ekstrak daging buah labu kuning (Cucurbita maxima D). Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Clinical Research (2): 82-94.
Trenggono RI, Latifah F. 2013. Buku Pegangan Ilmu Pengetahuan Kosmetik. Jakarta (ID): Gramedia.
Tyas DR, 2018. Pengaruh penambahan tepung kulit buah naga merah (Hylocereus polyrhiud) terhadap sifat fisik masker wajah berbahan dasar tepung kefir susu sapi untuk anti-aging. Jurnal Tata Rias 7(3): 32-40
Vallianou NG, Gounari P, Skourtis A, Panagos J, Kazazis C. 2014. Honey and its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties. General Medicine Journal 2(2): 1-5