Main Article Content
This study aims to investigate the effectiveness of teat dipping using sirih leaf extract (Piper betle) and bacteria in dairy farms located in Cijeruk Subdistrict, Bogor Regency, West Java. The research employs an experimental design utilizing a Completely Randomized Design (CRD) with four treatments: (1) teat dipping with masofilm (2% iodine) as the positive control, (2) teat dipping with bacteriocin (protein content = 11.17 g mL-1) (P1), (3) teat dipping with betel leaf extract (25% concentration-based) (P2), and (4) teat dipping without any additional treatment, serving as the negative control. Each treatment is replicated three times. The observed parameters include the reduction in somatic cell count (SCC) and total plate count (TPC) in cow's milk. Data were collected through sampling from 12 cows and analyzed using milk quality analysis to assess the conditions of dairy farms in Cijeruk Subdistrict.
Transfer of Copyrights
- In the event of publication of the manuscript entitled [INSERT MANUSCRIPT TITLE AND REF NO.] in the Malaysian Journal of Science, I hereby transfer copyrights of the manuscript title, abstract and contents to the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) for the full legal term of copyright and any renewals thereof throughout the world in any format, and any media for communication.
Conditions of Publication
- I hereby state that this manuscript to be published is an original work, unpublished in any form prior and I have obtained the necessary permission for the reproduction (or am the owner) of any images, illustrations, tables, charts, figures, maps, photographs and other visual materials of whom the copyrights is owned by a third party.
- This manuscript contains no statements that are contradictory to the relevant local and international laws or that infringes on the rights of others.
- I agree to indemnify the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) in the event of any claims that arise in regards to the above conditions and assume full liability on the published manuscript.
- Reviewers must treat the manuscripts received for reviewing process as confidential. It must not be shown or discussed with others without the authorization from the editor of MJS.
- Reviewers assigned must not have conflicts of interest with respect to the original work, the authors of the article or the research funding.
- Reviewers should judge or evaluate the manuscripts objective as possible. The feedback from the reviewers should be express clearly with supporting arguments.
- If the assigned reviewer considers themselves not able to complete the review of the manuscript, they must communicate with the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another suitable reviewer.
Copyright: Rights of the Author(s)
- Effective 2007, it will become the policy of the Malaysian Journal of Science (published by the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) to obtain copyrights of all manuscripts published. This is to facilitate:
(a) Protection against copyright infringement of the manuscript through copyright breaches or piracy.
(b) Timely handling of reproduction requests from authorized third parties that are addressed directly to the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya.
- As the author, you may publish the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
You may produce copies of your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, for teaching purposes or to be provided, on individual basis, to fellow researchers.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, electronically on a secure network at your affiliated institution, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, on the World Wide Web, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- In the event that your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, has been requested to be reproduced, for any purpose or in any form approved by the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers), you will be informed. It is requested that any changes to your contact details (especially e-mail addresses) are made known.
Copyright: Role and responsibility of the Author(s)
- In the event of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science contains materials copyrighted to others prior, it is the responsibility of current author(s) to obtain written permission from the copyright owner or owners.
- This written permission should be submitted with the proof-copy of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science
Ahmed R N., Bamigboye M O., Ajijolakewu K A., Idris S O., Bamigboye N T A. (2021). Isolation, characterization and antibacterial screening of antibiotics produced from streptomyces isolated from dumpsite soils in Ilorin, North Central Nigeria. Malaysian Journal of Science. 40(3):1-17.
Ajizah A. (2004). Sensitivitas Salmonella typhimurium terhadap ekstrak daun Psidium guajava L. Bioscientiae. 1(1): 31-38.
Aprilia P R., Santoso S A B., Harjanti D W. (2016). Jumlah Staphylococcus aureus dan kandungan nutrien susu akibat dipping puting menggunakan ekstrak daun belimbing wuluh (Averrhoa bilimbi Linn) pada sapi perah penderita mastitis subklinis. Jurnal Ilmu-Ilmu Peternakan. 26(1): 43-51.
Arifin M., Budiman C., Fujiyama K., Arief, I I. (2020). Kinetic and thermodynamic study of plantaricin IIa-1a5, a bacteriocin produced by Indonesian probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum IIa-1a5. Protein and Peptide Letters. 28(6): 680-686.
Arief, I I., Budiman C., Jenie, B S L., Andreas E., Yuneni, A. (2015a). Plantaricin IIA-1A5 from Lactobacillus plantarum IIA-1A5 displays bactericidal activity against Staphylococcus aureus. Beneficial Microbes. 6(4): 603-613.
Arief, I I., Jenie B S L., Astawan M., Fujiyama K., Witarto A B. (2015b). Identification and probiotic characteristics of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Indonesian local beef. Asian Journal Animal Science. 9(1): 25-36.
Arief, I I., Nandika A., Wulandari Z. (2021). Milk quality preservation through the application of plantaricin IIa-1a5 as biopreservatives on fresh milk at dairy cow farm. Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. 51(3): 1-12.
Bangash M N., Kong M L., Pearse R M. (2012). Use of inotropes and vasopressor agents in critically ill patients. Br J Pharmacol. 165(7): 2015-2033.
Belitz HD., Grosch W., Schieberle P. 2009. Milk and Dairy Products in Food Chemistry. Springer. Berlin.
Caburian, A B., Osi M O. (2010). Characterization and evaluation of antimicrobial activity of the essential oil from the leaves of Piper betle L. E-int. Sci. Res. Journal. 2(2): 1-13.
Fatmarani R., Arief I I., Budiman C. (2018). Purification of bacteriocin from Lactobacillus plantarum IIa-1a5 grown in various whey cheese media under freeze dried condition. Tropical Animal Science Journal. 41(1): 53-59.
Hata E., Katsuda K., Kobayashi H., Uchida I., Tanaka K., Eguchi M. (2010). Genetic variation among Staphylococcus aureus strains from bovine milk and their relevance to methicillin- resistant isolates from humans. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 48(6): 2130-2139.
Komala I. (2003). Pengaruh ekstrak daun sirih (Piper betle Linn) terhadap bakteri penyebab mastitis. [Skripsi]. Fakultas Peternakan, Institut Pertanian Bogor.
Lubis RR. , Marlisa, Wahyuni DD. 2020. Antibacterial activity of betle leaf (Piper betle l.) extract on inhibiting Staphylococcus aureus in conjunctivitis patient. Am J Clin Exp Immunol 9(1):1-5
Lukman D W., Sudarwanto M., Sanjaya A W., Purnawarman T., Latif H., Soejoedono R R. (2012). Pemeriksaan Mastitis Subklinis. Higiene Pangan Asal Hewan. Bogor: Kesmavet FKH IPB. 35-38.
Muehlhoff E., Bennett A., McMahon D., 2013. Milk and Dairy Products in Human Nutrition. FAO- Rome.
Mutmainna A., Arief I I., Budiman C. (2021). The growth and production of antimicrobial compounds from Lactobacillus plantarum IIA-1A5 on cheese whey medium. J. Indonesian Trop. Anim. Agric. 46(2): 173-184.
Mutaqin B K., Tasripin D S., Adriani L., Tanuwiria U H. (2021). Microbial biomass testing and degree of acidity of milk dairy cows provided complete feed supplementation protein, fat, minerals (pfm) and direct fed microbial. Jurnal Sumber Daya Hewan. 2(1): 1-4.
Noor M A., Apriasari M L. (2014). Antibacterial effectivity of methanol extract from mauli banana stem (Musa acuminata) and 10% povidone iodine against Streptococcus mutans. Jurnal PDGI. 63(2): 12-24.
Pereyra L C., Montana J R G., Benech A., Dibarrat J A., Martin M J., Perini S., Abreu M C., Silva D A., Rodriguez P. (2015). Evaluation of three therapeutic alternatives for the early treatment of ovine pregnancy toxaemia. Irish Veterinary Journal. 68(25): 1-7.
Periyanayagam K., Mubeen M., Basha S S. (2014). Anatomical investigation on the leaves of piper betle (L) var. sirugamani 1 (sgm1) links an ethnomedical important. International Journal of Pharmtech Research. 6(1): 244-251.
Poeloengan M., Komala I., Noor S M., Andriani., Rianti S R P. (2006). Activity water extract of essential oil and ethanol extraction op piper bittle leaves against bacteria isolated from sub clinical mastitis cattle. Seminar Nasional Teknologi Peternakan dan Veteriner.
Priono D., Kusumanti E., Harjanti D W. (2016). Jumlah bakteri Staphylococcus aureus dan skor california mastitis test (cmt) pada susu kambing peranakan etawa akibat dipping ekstrak daun babadotan (Ageratum Conyzoides L.). Jurnal Ilmu-Ilmu Peternakan. 26(1): 52-57.
Riyanto J., Sunarto., Hertanto B S., Cahyadi M., Hidayah R., Sejati W. (2016). Milk quality and production of dairy cow mastitis patients who get treatment of antibiotics. Jurnal Penelitian Ilmu Peternakan. 14(2): 30-41.
Sihombing D E., Arief I I., Budiarti S. (2015). Application of antimicrobial agents produced by Lactobacillus plantarum IIA-1A5 as natural preservative on beef during room temperature storage. Advance Journal Food Sci.Technol. 8(3): 251-255.
Sudono A., Fina., Budi. (2003). Beternak Sapi Perah Secara Intensif. Depok: Penerbit Agromedia Pustaka.
Surjowardojo P. (2011). Incidence level of mastitis with whiteside test on milk yield of dairy cows.
Jurnal Ternak Tropika. 12(1): 46-55.
Steel R G D., Torrie J H., Dicky D A. (1997). Principle and procedure of statistic. A Biometrical Approach. 7.
Tyagi B., Dubey A., Verma AK., Tiwari S. 2015. Antibacterial activity of phenolics compounds against pathogenic bacteria. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res. 35(1) 04: 16-18
Wahyuni S., Kentjonowaty I., Humaidah N. (2021). The effectiveness of herbal dipping teats as a subclinical mastitic prevention. Jurnal Dinamika Rekasatwa. 4(1): 231-249.