Main Article Content
The crown is a steady prosthesis designed to restore the functionality of a damaged tooth along, with its shape and size. They are also used to reinforce the tooth that poses long-term risk due to wide cavities and accidental injuries. The crowns are fixed using dental cement made of different materials such as porcelain cement, ceramics, etc. The present work aims to assess the mechanical properties – stiffness and strength, of the single molar crown prosthetic tooth materials to determine the efficacy of each material under typical masticatory load observed in clinical settings. To this end, the finite element method (FEM) is used to analyze the mechanical behavior of the molar crowns made of Zirconium (Zr), Nickel Chromium (Ni-Cr), and Gold alloy (Au-Ag). The crown models were created in Solidworks and exported to the ANSYS FE package. The exported three-dimensional models were subjected to varying loading conditions – vertical and oblique forces to the tooth axis under suitable displacement boundary conditions. Due to a relatively high elastic modulus, the Zr and Ni-Cr alloy exhibited a higher stress concentration and lower deformation on the crown’s intaglio surface compared to the Au-Ag alloy.
Transfer of Copyrights
- In the event of publication of the manuscript entitled [INSERT MANUSCRIPT TITLE AND REF NO.] in the Malaysian Journal of Science, I hereby transfer copyrights of the manuscript title, abstract and contents to the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) for the full legal term of copyright and any renewals thereof throughout the world in any format, and any media for communication.
Conditions of Publication
- I hereby state that this manuscript to be published is an original work, unpublished in any form prior and I have obtained the necessary permission for the reproduction (or am the owner) of any images, illustrations, tables, charts, figures, maps, photographs and other visual materials of whom the copyrights is owned by a third party.
- This manuscript contains no statements that are contradictory to the relevant local and international laws or that infringes on the rights of others.
- I agree to indemnify the Malaysian Journal of Science and the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publisher) in the event of any claims that arise in regards to the above conditions and assume full liability on the published manuscript.
- Reviewers must treat the manuscripts received for reviewing process as confidential. It must not be shown or discussed with others without the authorization from the editor of MJS.
- Reviewers assigned must not have conflicts of interest with respect to the original work, the authors of the article or the research funding.
- Reviewers should judge or evaluate the manuscripts objective as possible. The feedback from the reviewers should be express clearly with supporting arguments.
- If the assigned reviewer considers themselves not able to complete the review of the manuscript, they must communicate with the editor, so that the manuscript could be sent to another suitable reviewer.
Copyright: Rights of the Author(s)
- Effective 2007, it will become the policy of the Malaysian Journal of Science (published by the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya) to obtain copyrights of all manuscripts published. This is to facilitate:
(a) Protection against copyright infringement of the manuscript through copyright breaches or piracy.
(b) Timely handling of reproduction requests from authorized third parties that are addressed directly to the Faculty of Science, University of Malaya.
- As the author, you may publish the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
You may produce copies of your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, for teaching purposes or to be provided, on individual basis, to fellow researchers.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, electronically on a secure network at your affiliated institution, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- You may include the fore-mentioned manuscript, whole or any part thereof, on the World Wide Web, provided acknowledgement regarding copyright notice and reference to first publication in the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers) are given.
- In the event that your manuscript, whole or any part thereof, has been requested to be reproduced, for any purpose or in any form approved by the Malaysian Journal of Science and Faculty of Science, University of Malaya (as the publishers), you will be informed. It is requested that any changes to your contact details (especially e-mail addresses) are made known.
Copyright: Role and responsibility of the Author(s)
- In the event of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science contains materials copyrighted to others prior, it is the responsibility of current author(s) to obtain written permission from the copyright owner or owners.
- This written permission should be submitted with the proof-copy of the manuscript to be published in the Malaysian Journal of Science
Raquel Galante., Celio G., Figueiredo Pinaa., Ana Paula Serro. (2019) Additive manufacturing of ceramics for dental applications: A review. Dental Materials. 10.1016/j.dental.2019.02.026
Yang L., Miyanaji H. (2017) Ceramic additive manufacturing: a review of current status and challenges. 28th Annual International Solid freeform fabrication symposium-an additive manufacturing conference.
Triwatana P., Nagaviroj N., Tulapornchai C. (2012) Clinical performance failure of zirconia-based fixed partial dentures: review literature, J Adv Prosthodont 4 (2) 76.
Chang Kang M., Suk Kim J., Kim Kwang Ho. (2005) Cutting performance using high reliable device of Ti–Si–N-coated cutting tool for high-speed interrupted machining, Surface & Coatings Technology 200:1939-1944.
Imanishi A., Nakamura T., Ohyama. (2003) Three Dimensional Finite element analysis of all ceramic posterior crowns, Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 30(8) 818-822.
Lawn B R., Deng Y., Thompson V P. (2001) Use of contact testing in the characterization and design of all ceramic crown-lik layer structures: A review, J.Prosthetic Dentist 86(5) 495-510.
Perihan Oyar., Mutahhar Ulusoy., Gurcan Eskitascioglu. (2006) Finite Element analysis of stress distribution of two different tooth preparation designs in porcelain fused to metal crowns. The International Journal of Prosthodontic 19(1):85-91.
Jayakumar N., Senthilkumar G., Aravinda Samy.,Karthick V., Renganathan T. (2021) Comparison of stress analysis for dental crown (FPD) for various materials, 2nd International Conference on Materials, Manufacturing, and Machining for Industry 4.0 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.12.838
Seung Ryon Ha., Sung Hun Kim., Jung Suk Han., Seung Hyun Yoo., Se Chul Jeong., Jai Bong Lee., In Sung Yeo. (2013) The influence of various core designs on stress distribution in the veneered zirconia crown: A finite element analysis study, Journal Advance Prosthodont 5:187-97
Vikas Narayan Chougule., Arati Vinayak Mulay., Bharatkumar Bhagatraj Ahuja. (2016) methodologies for development of patient specific bone Models from Human body CT Scans, The Institution of Engineers India 99(4):413-418
Daljinder Singh., Rupinder Singh., Kamaljit Singh Boparai. (2016) Development and Surface improvement of FDM pattern based investment casting of biomedical implants: A state of art review, Journal of Manufacturing Processes 31(2018) 80-95.
Renold Elsen S., Ramesh T. (2015) Optimization to develop multiple response hardness and compressive strength of zirconia reinforced alumina by using RSM and GRA, Int.Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 52(2015) 159-164.
Premwara Triwatana., Noppavan Nagaviroj., Chantana Tulapornchai. (2012) Clinical performance and failures of zirconia-based fixed partial dentures: a revdingiew literature, J Advance Prosthodont 4:76-83